May 25, 2021
When you or someone in your family has received a personal injury, it’s difficult, no matter the circumstances. However, the circumstances can make it even more difficult, especially when those circumstances involve negligence of any kind. Hiring a personal injury lawyer can help to bring you and your family closure. The more experienced the lawyer, the better, and the Therman Law Offices, LTD and other similar offices have enough experience under their belts to put your minds at rest while you are trying to adjust to life with your personal injury.
Personal injury cases often involve negligence, often personal injury cases are automobile accident cases, though not always. Personal injury lawyers may specialize in an area of specific accident, or may cover many types of accidents.
- Car accidents are a common type of personal injury case. This is the cause of most personal injury cases throughout the United States of America, because someone is not following the rules of the road (usually). Careless drivers are often held liable, financially and responsible for the injuries to the other person. There are always exceptions, though.
- Slips and falls are another common type of personal injury case. Property owners are the ones who are often held liable due to their legal duty to keep the premises reasonably safe and free of hazardous areas. Not all injuries that occur on a property will cause liability situations, and the legal duties of the landowner may differ depending on circumstances and situations.
- While medical malpractice is not as common as slips and falls or car accidents, it’s still a common type of personal injury suit you may come across. Medical malpractice arises when a health care professional, such as a doctor, provides treatment that does not meet the medical standard of care and the patient is injured due to it. Getting a bad result does not necessarily indicate medical malpractice, though.
- Defamation, which is a type of libel or slander, can fall under personal injury due to the injury to someone’s reputation. The nature of what defamation the plaintiff has to prove will vary, because the plaintiffs are always different. Typically, the average person will need to prove that the negative statement is really false and that it caused harm, such as financial loss. When it comes to celebrities or public figures, however, they must be able to prove actual malice–the statement was made with the intent to do something reckless to the person’s name and reputation.
- Dog bites are another common type of personal injury case, and oftentimes owners of the dog are financially responsible for the injuries that their dog caused someone. In some cases strict liability rules exist and the owner is liable for dog bite damages even if the dog has never been aggressive before. States have various laws, and it does vary between states, in regards to the liability of the owner and dog bite laws.
Reach out to a personal injury lawyer no matter your injury, and discuss your case.