Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Florida
According to national statistics, approximately 6,000 pedestrians are killed after being struck by a car or other vehicle. Thousands more are left seriously injured. Florida law allows pedestrian accident victims to pursue damages against the party who hit them if it can be proven that it was the driver’s fault. A pedestrian accident lawyer Florida clients recommend can help victims obtain the financial compensation they deserve. The following are some of the most common causes of these terrible accidents.
One of the most common causes of pedestrian accidents is distracted driving. Far too many drivers still engage in the use of their cell phones, texting, checking social media, etc., while they are behind the wheel of their vehicles, despite all the public education about how dangerous that is. The result is that a driver looking at their cell phone may not see the pedestrian who is legally crossing in the crosswalk and the result of that act can be horrific.
Unfortunately, distracted walking is also on the rise, with pedestrians looking at their phones instead of where they are walking. This has also caused an increase in pedestrian accidents.
Alcohol is another common cause of pedestrian accidents, responsible for more than 10 percent of all pedestrian accident fatalities. A driver who is under the influence of alcohol is putting themselves and everyone they share the road with in danger. Alcohol slows the reflexes and interferes with coordination and vision. This means that the risk of a driver who is under the influence of alcohol of not seeing a pedestrian or not being able to respond quickly enough to a pedestrian in a crosswalk rises significantly compared to a sober driver.
Not only does is speeding a common cause of pedestrian accidents, but it also results in more severe injuries for the victim. The faster a vehicle is going, the more horrific the impact will be when that vehicle plows into a pedestrian. This also means that there is a higher rate of pedestrians who die because their injuries are so catastrophic, they are unable to survive. A Florida pedestrian accident lawyer can also pursue a wrongful death lawsuit against the driver on behalf of the victim’s family in these cases.
There are other factors in pedestrian accidents that could help serve as a reminder to anyone who is walking to be aware of. For example, crossing at a crosswalk when they have the right of way, crossing in an area where there is ample lighting at night so drivers can see them, and wearing reflective clothing and/or carrying a flashlight can help minimize the risk of being struck. In the event a pedestrian is hit even after taking these precautions, their Florida pedestrian accident lawyer will have a stronger chance of winning against the at-fault driver in a lawsuit because it will be harder for the driver’s insurance company to blame the pedestrian for the accident.
If a car, truck, or another motor vehicle hits a pedestrian, the consequences can be serious and life-changing. It is not unusual for a victim of a pedestrian accident to suffer disfigurement, significant scarring, and permanent injuries. Because of the significant difference in size and weight, even being hit by a slow-moving vehicle can leave a victim facing a long road to recovery.
An experienced personal injury lawyer at Tuttle Larsen, P.A., can help victims and their families pursue justice after pedestrian accidents. We work to recover compensation that can help pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and cover other expenses during the time you are recovering and are not able to work.
Get the Justice You and Your Family Deserve
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident, or if someone you care about was injured or killed after being struck by a motor vehicle, Tuttle Larsen, P.A., may be able to help. To learn more and to schedule a free initial consultation with an experienced and knowledgeable Florida pedestrian accident lawyer, contact us online today or call our Vero Beach office.
Types of Injuries From a Pedestrian Accident
As a Florida pedestrian accident lawyer from Tuttle Larsen, P.A. understands, pedestrian accidents can be devastating, and they often result in severe injuries. Here are some common types of injuries that pedestrians can sustain in an accident:
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. Pedestrians who are hit by a car can suffer traumatic brain injuries (TBI) from the impact. TBIs can range from mild concussions to severe brain damage, and they can have long-lasting effects on a person’s physical and cognitive abilities.
- Spinal Cord Injuries. Pedestrians can also suffer spinal cord injuries from the impact of a car. Spinal cord injuries can cause paralysis, loss of sensation, and chronic pain. These injuries can have a significant impact on a person’s quality of life and require extensive medical treatment.
- Broken Bones. Pedestrians can suffer broken bones in a variety of areas, including the arms, legs, ribs, and hips. These injuries can be painful and require immobilization, physical therapy, or even surgery to heal properly.
- Soft Tissue Injuries. Pedestrians can also suffer soft tissue injuries, such as bruises, cuts, and sprains. These injuries can be minor or severe, depending on the impact of the accident. Soft tissue injuries can cause pain, swelling, and restricted mobility.
- Internal Injuries. Pedestrians can also suffer internal injuries, such as organ damage, internal bleeding, and punctured lungs. These injuries may not be immediately apparent, and they require immediate medical attention.
- Emotional Trauma. Pedestrian accidents can also cause emotional trauma, such as anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). These injuries can have long-lasting effects on a person’s mental health and require therapy or counseling to address.
- Death. In the most severe cases, pedestrian accidents can result in death. These tragic accidents can leave families devastated and in need of legal support to seek justice for their loved ones through a wrongful death claim.
As a Florida pedestrian accident lawyer knows, the severity of injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident can depend on several factors, including the speed and size of the vehicle, the angle of impact, and the age and health of the pedestrian. Additionally, pedestrian accidents can have long-term effects on a person’s ability to work, participate in daily activities, and enjoy life. Seeking legal guidance and support after a pedestrian accident can help ensure that you receive the compensation you need to recover and move forward with your life. Don’t hesitate to seek help if you have been involved in a pedestrian accident.
Get Legal Help from Tuttle Larsen, P.A. Now
Pedestrian accidents can result in a wide range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to life-changing disabilities and even death. If you have been involved in a pedestrian accident, seek medical attention immediately, document the accident, and contact an experienced lawyer. A personal injury lawyer can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries and damages. Remember to take care of your physical and emotional health, and don’t hesitate to seek legal guidance and support in the aftermath of a pedestrian accident. Call Tuttle Larsen, P.A. to speak with a Florida pedestrian accident lawyer now.